Jump to Navigation

Water/Mold Intrusion

High-End Real Estate Defects in Indiana

Almost all construction defects relate back to water or mold intrusion. Whether there is a roofing defect, window deficiency, foundation problem, structural defect or building code violation, these problems result in some type of water intrusion. Water intrusion causes materials inside of the wall cavity to deteriorate or rot, sometimes causing mold. Oftentimes some or all of the material must be removed from the structure. If you have suffered either residential or commercial construction defects resulting in water/mold intrusion, you have legal options.

Highly Experienced Lawyer and Professional Architect

At Brooks Koch & Sorg, we handle construction law defects for high-end real estate cases throughout Indiana. Our lead construction law attorney, Terry Sorg, has nearly 15 years of experience in construction defect cases and more than a decade of experience as an architect. This rare blend of expertise is unlike any other in the area and brings a unique perspective to construction defect cases. He handles both residential and commercial defect matters.

Contact us to discuss your particular water/mold intrusion case with one of our Indianapolis real estate attorneys. We can help you seek damages.

Notice and Opportunity to Cure

There is a 10-year statute of repose for construction defects. Any number of water or mold defects can become apparent to an owner during this 10-year time period. We work with forensic investigators who can examine removed material and determine the cause of damage.

Under Indiana's Notice and Opportunity to Cure statute (IC 32-27-3), when a contractor builds a new home, he or she is required to notify the homeowner of this statute. If a defect is subsequently discovered, a homeowner is required to give the contractor notice and an opportunity to cure. We will notify the contractor to give the builder a chance to fix a defect. If this is not successful, we will litigate against the builder's insurance company. Typically, the insurance company will then file a third-party claim against the contractor.

These types of claims usually involve subrogation claims and CGL insurance policies (Comprehensive General Liability policies). Even if a builder is out of business by the time a suit is filed, the insurance company is open to the claim and recovery is still possible.

Violations of Home Improvement Contract Act

Under the Home Improvement Contract Act (IC 24-5-11), a contract that is more than $150 in work must be in writing. Many times contractors violate this act, which requires specific content and form for home improvement contracts. Other contractual issues we assist with include breach of contract, breach of warranty and negligence claims.

Contact Construction Law Attorneys Indianapolis, Indiana

If your home or commercial property has been damaged due to water or mold intrusion, seek legal assistance from a professional who is both a lawyer and an architect. Contact lawyer and professional architect Terry Sorg by calling (317) 608-6112.

Have you been injured? Send us a message.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Attorneys Brooks Koch & Sorg
615 Russell Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225

Phone: (317) 608-6112
Fax: (317) 822-3705

Map and Directions
E-Mail the Firm
Print this Page

Privacy Policy

Brooks Koch & Sorg is located in Indianapolis and serves Indiana clients in cities including Indianapolis, Carmel, Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Fishers, Zionsville, Greenfield, Martinsville, Franklin, Westfield, Noblesville, Lebanon, Shelbyville, and Danville. We practice law in Marion County, Hamilton County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Hancock County, Shelby County, and Johnson County.